An example of a custom blog + site:
You’ve got something to say, am I right? A message. A purpose. A passion. You want people to hear this because it matters too much to go unnoticed.
That’s the great thing about having a blog: you can share your message and build a community of readers, and have all the benefits of a static website: plenty of regular pages to hold your standard information, like who you are and how to get in touch with you. The best part? It’s as easy to edit your blog posts and your pages as it is to write up a document with Microsoft Word or anything like it.
While I recommend using WordPress, the king of blog software, I can also design for other major platforms, including Drupal, Joomla, and Blogger. I’ll walk you through the entire setup process and do the techie work for you; you’ll get your own domain (URL), and I’ll install a handful of cherry-picked plugins chosen to help you make the very most of your blog. I promise that nothing will be Greek to you; I’ll answer every question in your language, not techie lingo.
Ready to get started? Great! Drop me a line and tell me what you need!
Totally Custom Blog: Summary
- You want to provide original, consistent content in order to build a community of readers.
- You dig social media networking and you know – or want to know – its value.
- You want a full-bodied website and a blog to match.
- Hosting for one year + one domain.
- A completely unique, original blog design, optimized for SEO.
- Complete setup of your WordPress blog software and your domain.
- Installation of a cherry-picked set of useful plugins, plus any that you request.
- Thorough training on how to maintain and update your blog.
- An online store.
- Transferring content from another blog into your new one.
- Designing around a specific theme structure (e.g. Genesis).
- An art gallery theme or a webcomic theme.
- An art/photo gallery.
- A forum.
- Extra domains (typically 10-15$/year).
- Proofreading and editing new content you create.
- Extra graphic design for web, print, and photography.
- Fresh, vivid, accurate content, written by me. See SEO Copywriting for details.
- A personalized tour guide to the internet, answering your questions and providing a little guidance just when you need it.
The Step-By-Step Process
Note: This is for those of you who are detail-oriented and like to know in advance how things will go. It’s not required reading by any means, though it may be useful in helping you know what to expect when working with me.
- You answer a few questions for me, and we make sure all your desires and needs can be met by my timeline and skills.
- We take care of the technical details: choosing and acquiring your domain name (your URL), and setting you up with hosting. (I recommend the same host I use, which costs you 5$/month and nets you a free domain for life.) We also make sure your blog has all the functionality you want, including plugins; I install a set of useful ones and add any that you request.
- We go through the design process together to determine the look and feel of your site.
- Once you approve the design, we talk about content. If you want to import content from another blog, we can do that; otherwise, I help you create and set up your starting content, from an About page to your first post.
- I train you on how to update your blog, create new pages and posts, upload images, and do all the other cool stuff you want. The training can be as thorough and detailed or as simple and easy as you want. I’ll answer questions via email when you get them later on, too; I’m not ditching you after we’re done.
- We’re done! Time to share your new blog with the world! (If you want a little guidance on how to get started with that, I can help there, too.
Excellent! Get in touch with me to get started!